Wednesday, December 28, 2011

102mins of childhood nostalgia

Brought my 6 year old Kayden to watch The Muppets today thinking it will expose him to the kind of "cartoons" I watched when I was his age. It's hard to accept but in their generation, the only muppet they know is probably Barney :p

Growing up, The Muppets, Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Fraggle Rock etc were my generation's TV staple and muppets were present in all of these shows.

We went into the cinema not knowing the storyline or what to expect. I just know my boy will be so lost as he's not acquainted with Kermit or Miss Piggy at all. To be frank, it was a movie for ME and not him :D He didn't get the witty jokes of hecklers Statler and Waldorf, his heart didn't smile when Fozzie Bear (my favourite) appeared, he didn't know of the one sided romance between Miss Piggy and Kermit, he didn't laugh when Gonzo stripped off his suit to reveal his cape, he was a bit shocked by Animal's rowdiness and wondered why Beaker spoke the way he did. But I was familiar with all this and more, and just silently hoped that the muppets charm will win my son over like they did me when I was a kid.

And they did! He even figured out the villain was Tex Richman and whispered to me to confirm,"Mummy, is he the bad guy?" We rooted for the muppets to hit the $10 million target to save the muppets studio from Tex and cheered when they were closed to succeeding. When Kermit performed "The Rainbow Connection" with Miss Piggy, I was singing along to the first verse before my tears engulfed me and I started sobbing uncontrollably as my childhood came flooding back and the sweet and innocent memories hit me hard throughout the song. It felt as if I missed that part of my life terribly amidst this crazy adult life and when Animal came in with the drums, there were no stopping the tears! I was glad no one saw me crying and also glad that I was wearing the Bausch + Lomb's HD contact lenses which enabled me to continue watching the movie clearly after wiping away all those tears :p I have included below the movie's version of the song (just the song, no visuals). Tell me if it doesn't jerk out your childhood!



I was also impressed with a rendition of one of my all time favourite grunge band Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sung by the muppets barbershop quartet. Old favourites like "We Built This City" by Starship continued to fill you with nostalgia (that's provided you are of my generation) :p I also like the finale "Life's A Happy Song" which was catchy and upbeat and left you with a skip to your step :)

Overall a really enjoyable movie and more so if you were born in the 70s, the Muppets rule!
*hums* "Life's a happy song when there's someone by my side to sing along....."




Win yourself a month's supply of Bausch+Lomb's HD Optics contact lens!
Name 3 benefits of Bausch+Lomb 's High Definition™ Optics contact lens vs normal lens - email your answer together with your name and contact number to omyadmin@gmail.com before 30 January 2011 and stand to be among five winners to each win a month supply of SofLens Daily Disposable contact lenses(worth up to $110)!]*
*Contest winners will be picked via a random draw and will be notified via email, within one week after the contest ends. Winners’ list is final and no further correspondence will be entertained by the organisers.

No comments: