Saturday, July 19, 2008

Working with a baby in tow

It's been a week since I went back to work officially and I think this has got to be one of our busiest week ever! 12 Blooms, 5 Little Big Shots, 1 kid's birthday event shoot, 1 magazine cover shoot and 1 video shoot...PHEW! Next week seems even busier and I shudder at how I'm going to handle another week with Dylan in the studio. What's more he'll be into his 6th week and that's another dreaded growth spurt week!

I am thankful for the help I got from the girls, who overnight had to become photographers cum babysitters ;p Ashley is more experienced at handling babies and she's great with Dylan. We laughed when we see Charlene trying to handle the loud and bawling baby, she's like a new mummy kekeke. But after one week, she's getting as good as Ashley ;p Thanks girls, you've been awesome assistants in more ways than one :)

My in laws also came to help look after Dy and buy us lunch on days when we were extra busy. Thanks Ma and Pa!

Dylan's feeding times have never stretched more than 2 to 3 hours in the day and because of this, I often have to stop in the middle of a shoot and ask the client if they mind me running off to the other room to nurse the bawling baby for 10mins. Most of them are understanding and shoo me off to do what I have to do. So nice of them :) But today Charlene told me the grandmother of one of the Little Big Shot client commented loudly (as I nursed Dylan in the other room before their shoot) on how I shouldn't bring a baby to work and should start shooting for them the minute they stepped in the door :S sucks! Bet she never breastfeed her children that's why she's so unreasonable :(

So now I am thinking of ideas on how I can still work with baby in tow. One of the blogs I frequent recommends The Snuggle Wrap which allows young babies to be "tied" to you with their heads fully supported and have both your hands free to work. It's unlike a sling which uses one shoulder. Have a look at this product and let me know what you think. If not, any other suggestions? Sigh, it's not easy!

5 comments:

mummy yio said...

You know what, I feel your fustrations :) Coz i need to pump at work and my pumping has to be worked around my free periods but there is this 1 day in the week that i cannot pump at my usual timing. My collegues have advised me to come upfront with that particular collegue i will be partnering for that day so that she can help me and i can run off to pump for 15 mins but guess what, she told me that it is unacceptable!!! And she is a mother of 2 boys who r in pri sch already. Bet she never breastfeed her boys thats why she dun understand...

Boredlittleflower said...

Oh boy! I think you are doing really great in handling work and Dylan at the same time. Hang on ya? I've seen the Snuggle Wrap. Sounds like a really good idea!

*Judy*

maryann koh said...

hey guys, thanks for dropping by. the boy is still a handful, i hope his sleeping habits improve soon!

maryann koh said...

btw quek, that colleague of yours is too much!

maryann koh said...

i got the snugglewrap! still need to get the hang of tying it becoz sometimes the baby hangs down too low and sometimes too high, aiyo.....